RenewableUK warns PM to quash dangerous uncertainty spread by onshore wind rumours
Commenting on continuing reports about the Conservative Party’s plans for onshore wind, RenewableUK's Deputy Chief Executive Maf Smith warned:
“The Prime Minister needs to step in right now and put a stop to these deeply unhelpful leaks concerning the future direction of Conservative party policy on renewable energy.
The suggestion that there should be any kind of moratorium on the development of onshore wind ignores the fact that it is the most cost-effective form of renewable energy available to us as consumers – we need it to drive energy bills down in the long-term.
It also disregards the fact that two-thirds of the public consistently support the growth of onshore wind energy. The fact that these rumours are being allowed to continue about such a popular technology means that every energy and infrastructure investor in the country will be wondering “who’s next?” The message going out is that if a vocal minority complain about popular much needed infrastructure the Prime Minister is unwilling to defend it. That’s bad for investor confidence across the board.”
“Nearly 19,000 people work in the British onshore wind industry – and that number is set to double over the next 10 years unless the Government blows it. Irresponsible, unattributed rumours like this play with all of their jobs.
“Investors will be shaking their heads in disbelief as the Tory party wilfully damages confidence in one of Britain’s flagship new industries. Mr Cameron needs to act firmly and stop some of his MPs using wind energy as a football in their short-term playground politics.”
For further information, please contact:
- Jennifer Webber, Director of External Affairs, 020 7901 3012 or 07792 463445 Jennifer.Webber@RenewableUK.com
- Robert Norris, Head of Communications, 020 7901 3013 or 07969 229913 Robert.Norris@RenewableUK.com
- RenewableUK is the trade and professional body for the UK wind and marine renewables industries. Formed in 1978, and with over 550 corporate members, RenewableUK is the leading renewable energy trade association in the UK:
- More on public support for wind energy can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-attitudes-tracking-survey-wave-8
- More on how investor confidence is affected across energy by attacks on onshore wind can be found here. http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-contrasting-government-statements-about-onshore-wind/
- More on job numbers can be found here: http://www.renewableuk.com/en/publications/reports.cfm/working-green-britain
- More on the economic benefits of onshore wind can be found here: http://www.renewableuk.com/en/publications/reports.cfm/BiGGAR
Please add a comment
Leave a Reply
Got an enquiry about a news article, press release, or event?
Contact Gaia-Wind today by calling +44 (0) 845 871 4242, or email us for more information.
Gaia-Wind 133-11kw turbine
- High energy yield
- Feed in tariff eligible
- Clean energy