Wind of Change Blows Jobs to Glasgow
November 24, 2010
Wind Turbine Manufacturer Moves In 2000 11kw Small Wind Turbines per Year
World leading Small Wind turbine manufacturer Gaia-Wind Ltd announced the creation of a brand new production and worldwide distribution hub in Glasgow.
This £5 million investment will bring more than 50 sustainable and high quality jobs to Scotland and the Glasgow area in particular; underpinning Gaia–Wind’s plans for expansion into a worldwide market. The investment will:
- Establish a facility for final assembly and Factory Acceptance Tests of wind turbines;
- Site Research, Product Development, Sales, Marketing and Operations under one roof; and
- Enhance the skills base in Scotland for Renewable Energy and strengthen the market for locally based distributors, suppliers and services.
It will also add a new, high-tech, export focussed business to the economy of Glasgow.
Having looked at a number of potential locations abroad, including Denmark and Italy, Gaia-Wind will concentrate growth around a single location within the company’s core UK market. In addition, a substantial proportion of their world leading product will be for export to overseas markets.
Managing Director Johnnie Andringa said:
“This will be more than a simple assembly line facility. It will be the Global Hub for a rapidly growing business with complete integration of all aspects of the process from R&D, design engineering, production and testing, as well as global distribution and supply chain management.
“This investment will create 50 plus jobs in direct and indirect employment over the next 3 years. Many of these jobs will be in highly skilled positions in R&D, supply chain management and quality assurance.
“Gaia-Wind is now starting to grow rapidly and has recently established a solid presence in the massive US market. The new facility will handle the assembly, test and distribution of over 250 small wind turbines in 2011, expected to rise to 2000 units per year over the next few years.
The unique Gaia-Wind 133-11kW turbine is specifically designed for the moderate wind speeds found around Scotland. The machine’s big two blade rotor with 133sqm swept area generates better value than all competing machines with payback often below five years.
Andringa praised the support of the Scottish Government and Scottish Enterprise: “In the current investment environment the support of Scottish Enterprise has been vital. Scottish government backing for renewables has encouraged us throughout a difficult process.”
Enterprise Minister Jim Mather said:
“This is good for Glasgow’s low carbon ambitions, bringing long term, high quality green jobs to the city. This is a welcome boost to employment in Glasgow in an emerging technology sector and I wish Gaia- Wind well.”
Welcoming the news, Scottish Enterprise Chief Executive Lena Wilson said:
“Gaia-Wind is exactly the kind of ambitious company we are looking to invest in Scotland’s fast-growing renewables sector. The company’s decision to locate its production and worldwide distribution centre in Glasgow, confirms Scotland’s reputation as a globally competitive location for companies in this sector.”
For further information call Martin Paterson on 0141 248 5204 or 079207 15345 or visit: http://www.gaia-wind.co.uk/
Notes to Editors
- Gaia-Wind Ltd is a manufacturer of world leading high performance Small Wind Turbines, servicing farms, large residences, small businesses, and public buildings. The company has offices in Glasgow and Denmark, and has appointed distributors in England, Ireland, Italy and the US.
- The company has almost three hundred turbines installed worldwide with a combined operational time of some nine million hours.
- In 2009 more than 60% of Gaia-Wind products were for customers outside Scotland, in 2012 that will have grown to 80% of which more than 40% will be exported outside the UK.
- The new premises of 10,000 sq ft workshop plus 5000 sq ft office space are sited in Port Dundas in Glasgow.
- Click here for a demo of the unique two bladed Gaia-Wind 133-11kW turbine
- Attached are photographs of the unique two bladed Gaia-Wind 133-11kW turbine: more can be obtained on request
Please add a comment
Leave a Reply
Got an enquiry about a news article, press release, or event?
Contact Gaia-Wind today by calling +44 (0) 845 871 4242, or email us for more information.