First “Made In Scotland” Turbine Switched On by Tonga Prime Minister
July 05, 2013
Gaia-Wind, Scotland’s world class small wind turbine manufacturers have notched up another success as the Prime Minister of Tonga, Lord Tu’ivakano, commissioned the kingdom’s first wind turbine at Nakolo Village. Following the success of this pilot project, Tonga Power and Gaia-Wind are now in discussion about a swift and substantial enlargement of small wind turbine capacity for the island.
The Gaia-Wind 133 turbine was dispatched to the South Pacific island kingdom earlier this year, by Scottish Secretary Michael Moore who said:
“As I witnessed firsthand Gaia Wind is an innovative, pioneering company and I’m delighted to hear that the turbine that I helped send from Glasgow is already making a vital contribution towards carbon-free energy in Tonga.
“Scotland’s world class renewable companies like Gaia Wind are leading the way and staff throughout the UK Government’s extensive global network of diplomatic, consular and trade embassies are working hard to provide Scottish businesses with the support they need to exploit these exciting new opportunities.”
At a distance of 16,109 kilometres, Tonga Power Limited's purchase of the Gaia-Wind turbine sets the furthest ever distance for an export order for the company. Gaia-Wind beat off competition from small wind turbine manufacturers in the US and Europe to win the groundbreaking order. The turbine, which is designed to deliver high performance in moderate winds, will also have to withstand the occasional hurricane and other extremes of weather.
Tonga Power report that the construction on the project finished on-time and under-budget. “The Nakolo Wind Turbine began harnessing the energy from wind and has produced electricity since its completed installation. The wind turbine will generate approximately 27,000 kW hours of electricity, enough to generate power to 23 homes. Project Manager Setitaia Chen said: “Today marks a milestone for Tonga Power in the development of wind generation in the Kingdom. The only way to go now is forward with the wind. This project achieved one of our goals, to build capacity to learn, be exposed to a new experience and maintain a new technology.”
Gaia-Wind CEO Johnnie Andringa said:
"Following on our success in breaking into the European and US markets, we are thrilled that our UK manufactured turbines have now reached out halfway across the globe. Gaia-Wind turbines are designed to serve members of the community directly and to be in scale with their environment. Tonga is a prime example of the kind of market for "distributed energy" for which the Gaia-Wind turbine is eminently suited.
Notes to Editors:
- For further information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 07920715345
- Gaia-Wind Ltd is a manufacturer of world leading high performance Small Wind Turbines, servicing farms, rural properties, businesses, and community projects. The company is headquartered in Glasgow, Scotland, with appointed distributors across the UK as well as operations in Italy, France, Denmark, Ireland, and the US.
- In 2012 Gaia-Wind was listed as the fastest growing private company in Scotland and the eighth fastest growing in the UK.
- More than 800 Gaia-Wind turbines have been "in the ground" for a combined operational time of more than 14 million hours. That's over 1,500 years. In Denmark, 77 of our Gaia-Wind turbines have been running for more than 10 years.
- For Tonga Power Limited contact Jane Guttenbeil on email@example.com
Please add a comment
Leave a Reply
Got an enquiry about a news article, press release, or event?
Contact Gaia-Wind today by calling +44 (0) 845 871 4242, or email us for more information.
Gaia-Wind 133-11kw turbine
- High energy yield
- Feed in tariff eligible
- Clean energy